With results you can see, fitness + nutrition makes a great start!

**I'm not an expert, just a trainee!**

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Shakeology and the 80/20 Rule

Although it sounds statistical, and I HATE math, the 80/20 rule works on so many levels!  In a nut shell the assumption is that most of the results in any situation are determined by a small number of causes.  Or, 80% of your outcomes come from 20% of your inputs.  So, when applied to diet, keep your nutrition on point 80% of the time.  Do what you will, within reason the other 20%, but remember, those small number of causes?  They'll determine a lot.  In life, 20% of your activities can determine 80% of your happiness.  In business, 20% of your workers can determine 80% of your outputs.

So, Live and 80/20 Life:
How?  Start small, think big.  You probably spend 80% of your time at work and are tired and spend the majority of the rest sleeping, chillaxin', whatever.  Take a percentage of the remaining 20% and spend it on something you LOVE to do.  For most people it's a creative outlet; music, art, writing.  For others, it's activities or athletics.  Whatever it is, make the most of it!  Don't procrastinate, do it now.

Some people never get the work-life balance they want.  Why?  They start to late. They sleep WAY too much.  They pour their 20% into alcohol...literally.  Alcohol is a depressant, then they feel even more unhappy.  I indulge in a glass of wine sometimes.  I like it.  It just doesn't like me so much.  I end up with heartburn and a headache if I indulge too much, so I tend to not drink so much.  Jack Daniels and I used to be great friends....then somewhere between a job, two kids, building a house... I found a good work-life balance. It takes losing sight of material objects and focusing on what really makes you happy.  So, do some soul searching and find your niche.  Passions are WAY more fun the Possessions.  Making your passion your profession is often the first step.  It takes out some of the grind feeling when you really, truly LOVE your Job.

80/20 Nutrition:
I've been working on this theory along with workouts and lifestyle.  I find, I feel WAAAY better if I eat better.  So, I try and eat really nutritional 4/5 meals and 4/5 snacks, separate the two.  That 1/5 meal or snack that's not-so-nutritionally sound is where I splurge.  And, I always try to follow up that splurge with Shakeology.  It's almost like it scrubs the crap out on it's way down!

Breakfast: Shakeology
AM Snack: apple
Lunch: Sandwich with cottage cheese and tomatoes
PM Snack: granola bar
Dinner: Hamburger

Breakfast: Shakeology
AM Snack: Banana
Lunch: Loaded Salad & Smoothie
PM Snack: Mango
Dinner: Chicken Sandwich with baked sweet potato

Breakfast:1 egg + 1 egg white, scrambled, milk and yogurt with granola
AM Snack: Cookie
Lunch: Shakeology
PM Snack: Trail Mix and Extra M&Ms
Dinner: Shakeology

Keeping a food diary helps, you can see when you put what in your body, identify cravings and times you crave things (including times of the month), and calculate nutritional value.  Add activities to your journal and you'll get a pretty good picture of your life, food habits and lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment