Welcome!

With results you can see, fitness + nutrition makes a great start!

**I'm not an expert, just a trainee!**

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fit vs. Fat, My Story

Fit vs. fat is merely about choice.  The choice to eat an apple or a cupcake, the choice to watch tv or work out.  A series of choices can shape the body you live in.  I make the choice to change my life back to fit.  I used to work out; swim every morning, maintain an active lifestyle.  It was the happiest time of my life.

A year ago I was stressed, at home with my two kids all day, jobless and wondering what I could do to make a change.  First, I saw my doctor, talked about some options and decided I can make this change.  I made an effort to go to the local swimming pool daily, during lunch when my husband, Royce, could watch the boys.  It was great for the summer.  I shed some inches and felt better.  Anti-depressants aren't on my to-do list!

In January, we found out our 1-year-old is gluten-intolerant.  (You can learn more about a gluten-free diet at Gluten-Free and Clean Eating)  We took on clean eating in a hurry.  No processed grains in this house!  We've since re-introduced grains, but in very small moderation and we're very careful which ones.

In March, I decided it was time for another change.  A new workout!  I added little things that worked in my life.  I mean, a one hour lap swim is great, but not in the winter and not with a 30 minute drive on each end.  I had to figure out something that worked for me.  So, for me, it was mini-workouts all day long. Here's what I did:
50 jumping jacks
10 tricep dips
25 squats
:20 plank
20 russian twists x2
20 flutter kicks or leg raises (depends on if the kids are crawling on me or not)
10 crunches
10 oblique crunches (ea side)
10 jackknife sit-ups
20 calf raises

Keep in mind, I didn't do it all at once.  I did calf raises while reading, jumping jacks while waiting on something to defrost in the microwave, squats while I was waiting for my coffee to brew....I think you get the point.  It fit into my life, not the other way around.  I didn't re-arrange my schedule to fit in anything.  And, at the end of the day, if there's anything left (which usually there isn't) I'd just do it before I go to bed!

Now, I'm down a pants size from 30 days ago.  I started 7 days ago (only 1 week) scheduling eating.  With two active boys, naps, meals, paying the bills, laundry, cleaning, caring for the chickens....I forget to eat!  So, I scheduled food every 2-3 hours.  I have an alarm go off when it's time to eat (which sometimes gets confusing when the microwave, coffee pot, oven timer, dryer and washer beeping too, but I figure it out) and I grab some food.  It's easy to pick something healthy, we just don't keep crap in the house.  It's easy to not eat it if it's not there.  It's been successful at boosting my metabolism, I'm down 4.5 lbs in 7 days.

I decided to step it up a notch.  I have P90X and Shakeology on the way (literally via FedEx).  It's scheduled to arrive Saturday and I'm more than excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment